Monday, September 10, 2012

Italia? Not so much

Hello!

    Well today started my actual semester of classes. I luckily only had two classes but both were pretty long- atheist not the typical 50 minute Monday Duquesne classes. The day started off with Italian; all I have to say is rough. Our class only consists of 10 people which is great but means that I get picked on a lot more (boo!). Fabio, our professor, speaks class in mostly Italian... Which is a struggle in itself! Hopefully as class goes on I will be able to learn it more, practice it, and allow Fabio to change his first impression about me (he didn't seem too fond of me-- maybe it is because I'm not Italian LOL).
    Italian history through film was my second class for the day and it was very different. The professor is from The Univeristy of Bologna and comes to our campus once a week for three hours to teach this class. He claims it is more of a sociology class; we gain different perspectives on things and analyze specifically films in different manners to find out about not only ourselves but culture as well. He spoke in an English/ Italian mix which at times was a struggle because we really had to pay attention to comprehend what he was saying. Our assignments during the week consist of watching a film outside of class- what a smart man not allowing us to watch it during class. I hope this course will be a great opportunity to gain messages through movies in a different manner.
    I got a chance to speak with Sister Mercedes; she is our main, madre, nun from Philadelphia and one of the only English speaking nuns here. She was lovely. We got a chance to talk about the food here, our rooms, and she welcomed me to come and visit here whenever I needed to talk with someone. There is Italian mass every morning at 7:30 AM which I am planning on going to soon! We have had incredibly long days so it's my bed time soon!

Arrivaderci!
Ky xx

No comments:

Post a Comment