Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Absolutely LOVING the LONDON LIFE!!!!

Hello!!!! (Now that it is completely acceptable!)

I just have to start out by saying London was my absolute favorite place I have visited- BY FAR! I knew this the moment I stepped out of the train and onto platform 9 3/4 (LOL just kidding! it was platform 5). Everything was wonderfully fantastic starting from their lingo to how clean the city was to the friendliness of everyone and more! It was a whole new atmosphere and I could understand everyone! We arrived in London around 9 AM and checked right into the hostel about a 5 minute walk from the train station. When we were checking in, they told us we were in a 16 person room- WHAT?! I know I almost shed a tear, but I have to say it was one of the best experiences of my life! I got to meet so many different and young people all exploring the world and to gain a different perspective on life. One morning while at breakfast I talked to a German man, in his mid twenties, simply about the world and our lives. He was a foreign exchange student who lived in Texas for a year, and while there he travel all of the mid- US. He spoke seven different languages and was just on a little weekend trip. I told him everywhere I've visited and about school. One of the more interesting topics that came up was how the schooling in the US and Europe is so different. In the US after graduating high school many do not think twice about college, we just go. And once we have that first degree, we tend to continue our studies in graduate school; so ultimately we aren't completely finished with school until our mid to late twenties. The Europeans have an "off" year. This is the year between high school and college and they all just travel!!! It is uncommon for students to not engage and fully participate in this traveling year. I told this incredibly interesting fella that I will still be in school for at least 3 more years and he couldn't believe it! I met another kid, also from Germany, who was living in the hostel and interviewing for internships! Could you imagine what life would be like if that were the case?! It is just a completely different lifestyle and I love it!
Ok so enough with the people and onto the sights!!



BIG BEN! It was incredible. We walked right out of the metro and BAM- there it was! Of course I needed a picture with the towel, too!

 Big Ben & Parliment 


 Westminster Abbey!
THE LONDON EYE! (different views from the top)


Shakespeare's Globe Theatre!

The London Bridge!

My delicious Fish & Chips with Beer
I could eat this every day!

Happy Fall!



BUCKINGHAM PALACE!!!





 Harrods Department Store!!! I got lost and spend hours here, it was perfectly brilliant! Also I had some fantastic cupcakes! YUM!



Call me, maybe!



Just hanging by the Eye!
Right before we left, I got a Starbucks and
scratchy ticket. Perfect ending!

 London was not just about sight seeing, but the atmosphere was definitely a huge part of the phenomenal experience. One of my favorites was the lingo. Instead of signs saying "exit" they simply said "way out"! The Brits use the term Cheers for everything!!!! I moved to the side of the escalator so a guy could pass and his response was indeed "Cheers" -- How lovely! There was a younger vibe everywhere through town, and many different hipster caffe's all around to grab a bite to EAT (my favorite one was ironically called EAT). The style was brilliant-- lots of fur vests and scarves, how perfect! Even the train station was fun! There were just pianos everywhere for people to sit down and enjoy a quick little tune while waiting. As you can tell I loved every minute of London, and I can not wait to go back sometime soon! Until then I will continue to enjoy life!

Happy Day!

Ky xx

2 comments:

  1. Kylie,
    I am so happy to see that your enthusiasm has not decreased at all during the semester. You manage to find the good in the situation and that is very helpful for you and others. The London photos were great, as were the excursion photos with Duq. Enjoy the rest of your time, especially Thanksgiving!

    sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue! We have just about a week left-- As much as I don't want to leave, I am so ready to come home! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!! Tell everyone I said Hi and hopefully I will be able to see you all soon :-)

    ReplyDelete